Your skin is the biggest organ of your body and has the important responsibility of protecting you from toxins, regulating temperature, and is the first organ to interact with the environment around you. Caring for your skin is imperative to living a healthy and happy life. If youâ€™re looking for an eczema-licensed naturopathic doctor in Olney, Maryland, we can help!
What is Eczema?
Eczema, or atopic dermatitis, is an autoimmune disease of the skin resulting from immune system overactivity. It is most commonly found in children, but also in adults. Some common symptoms include tiny raised bumps on the skin, cracked/scaly/dry skin, and itchy rash that wonâ€™t go away. Atopic dermatitis can be diagnosed as well.
Throughout Maryland, during seasonal changes, many people are affected by allergies and dry skin.Â Asthma, allergy, and eczema make the triad known as allergy march. The name â€œallergy marchâ€ comes from the regularity in which these conditions usually overlap each other and are routinely the normal progression of allergic disease that starts during childhood. These conditions are indications of the dysregulation of the immune system.Â Immune system dysregulation that leads to eczema occurs for various reasons such as changes in gut flora, frequent overuse of medications such as NSAIDs, and environmental toxin exposure.
How A Naturopathic Doctor Can Help?
In order to treat eczema naturally, itâ€™s important to get to the root cause of your overactive immune system. This is where naturopathic medicine can help. Naturopathic medicine is about the whole person and their overall health, using natural medicine practices. Here is a list of best practices for natural relief of eczema:
- Identify food allergies and sensitivities to identify triggers.Â Elimination diets are a great start.Â
- Optimize gut health.Â Eat whole foods that promote healthy gut bacteria like fresh fruits and vegetables.Â Â
- In children, allow their immune system to work.Â Â Playing outside and with other kids exposed their immune systems to various types of bacteria and exercises its ability to fight them off.
- Use natural topical eczema treatments.Â Ointments containing comfrey, plantain, and calendula are good for all ages and can moisturize and heal eczema naturally.
- Botanical Medicine.Â Consume natural herbs such as Quercetin and licorice extract to heal your gut.
- Include a vitamin D supplement.Â Low vitamin D has been linked to eczema in studies for both children and adults.Â Sardines, eggs, and salmon are examples of foods high in vitamin D.
Naturopathic doctors in Maryland help to support and educate patientsâ€™ health concerns to activate their own self-healing mechanisms within their bodies. Men and womenâ€™s health needs can vary, and a whole-body approach is best for individual optimal health results. The whole-body approach accounts for each organ functioning together optimally, ideally for your entire life. Unlike traditional medicine, naturopathy provides a complete, specialized, and well-planned patient care approach that uses modern science and medicinal forms from nature to empower patients with the knowledge to take care of their overall health and well-being. If youâ€™re looking for an eczema-licensed naturopathic doctor in the Olney, MD area, we can help. Give us a call today at Second Nature Health where we serve all of the Olney, Maryland populations.Â