Low Fat, Wheat Free and Delicious Cream of Brocolli Soup
Eating right is easier with this healthy soup. Takes just minutes to prepare, has no wheat in it (great for gluten sensitivities) and a small amount of fat. Stores well and delicious!
Prep: 15 minutes Total: 35 – 60 minutes
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped onions (about 1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons of olive, safflower, grapeseed, rapeseed or sunflower oil, vegetable or coconut is okay too
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) of fat free and reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups fresh brocolli florets (about 2 small bunches)
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice (or brown)
- 2 cups milk (unflavored and unsweetened soy milk if you’d like)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice (punches the flavor of the veggies)
Cook and stir carrots, celery and onions in hot oil in large sauce pan on medium to high heat for 5 minutes. Add broth and pepper; stir and bring to boil.
Stir in brocolli and rice, reduce heat to medium-low simmer 15-20 minutes (40-50 for brown rice), or until veggies are tender, rice mostly cooked. Stir frequently.
Add soup to blender or food processor, cover and whirl until well pureed. Return to sauce pan, add milk and cheese. Heat thoroughly, while stirring well.
** If not restricting salt, considering adding a touch of sea salt for a richer flavor.
** If you are kitchen skills saavy – roast or grill the veggies before you cook them for a more flavorful soup.
Makes 8 – one cup servings.
Cal: 160, Fat 8 gm, Chol., 10 mg, Sodium 370 mg, Carb 14 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 6 g, Protein 9 g, vitamin A 45% DV, Vit. C 40% DV, Calcium 15%DV and Iron 4% DV.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup – Dairy Free
A slow cooker potato soup that your family will love!”
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Hours
Ready In: 12 Hours 25 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil-packed minced garlic
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- Pepper to taste
- In a slow cooker, place the potatoes, onions, carrot, celery, oil-packed garlic, and bouillon cubes. Pour in the water, and season with parsley, herb seasoning blend, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook soup 3 to 4 hours on High, or 10 to 12 hours on Low. Stir in soy milk during the final 30 minutes of cook time.
- Place broccoli over boiling water in a pot fitted with a steamer basket, and steam 5 minutes, or until tender but firm. Spoon into the soup to serve.