- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup crushed pinapple or pineapple juice
- 1 TB blackstrap mollasses
- currants or raisins to taste
Rinse the grains. Boil then simmer the quinoa in water and mollasses for ten minutes Add the oats and fruit and simmer for another 15 minutes. You can soak the oats overnight to cook a bit faster. Also reheats just fine, if you add a bit of water (or juice) to the cooked grains.
Based on a recipe from Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian. This simple tofu dish is full of hearty vegetables. Stuff it in a whole-wheat pita for an easy lunch on the run.
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper — seeded and diced
- 8 scallions — sliced
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 1 pound tofu, silken lite (firm) — diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoo width: 100%;n freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the wine. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, scallions and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until the vegetables are softened, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper; cook, stirring as needed, until the tofu is heated through and the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in the basil and parsley.
Makes 4 servings